So I found this AMAZING recipe for Sausage Stuffed B-Squash last week and I couldn’t wait to try it. I loved the inspiration this recipe gave me. It looked like something this crisp autumn weather wanted me to eat and I couldn’t wait to make it my own!
I gathered my Ingredients:
- 1 Butternut Squash
- 1 onion, minced
- 1/2 lb mushrooms, minced
- yellow pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lbs pork sausage
- 1t rosemary
- 1t thyme
- 1t sage
- 2T bacon fat, or other fat
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Half and deseed the squash. Place meat down (flat edge) into a shallow pan that has about 1/2″ of water in it. Cook squash for 40-55 minutes.
- While the squash is cooking (I called it the f@$@%&$ gourd most of the evening), saute the onions, garlic, mushrooms and pepper. Add in the sausage when the liquid is almost gone.
- When sausage is cooked, remove from heat and cover to keep warm until gourd is done.
- When gourd is done, it should scoop easily from itself, scoop innards out and put into the sausage/
veggie mix. Mix well. Take strong care not to mutilate the gourd (this is about the time I really started calling it names).
- If you didn’t mutilate the gourd, like I may have, you can spoon the stuffing back into the gourd. If you did mess up the gourd, that is OKAY!! Just spoon the stuffing into any casserole pan that will hold it. I happened to have one half of a gourd and I also had to use a small Pyrex dish.