One of the things I’ve missed since going DF (dairy free), GF (gluten free), and LF (legume free) is CHINESE FOOD!!! Sesame chicken was one of my favorites…. I’ve attempted it the Paleo way before and I’ve always failed miserably! Well, a new day has dawned!! I’ve mastered this Orange Chicken and it is BETTER than I remember my favorite Chinese Take Out dishes to be. Read on to become a JEDI!
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1/3 C coconut aminos
- 1/3 C honey (I use raw)
- 2T Orange Juice
- 2T tomato paste
- 1T sesame oil (toasted or untoasted)
- 2 t minced garlic
- 1/2 t ground ginger
- 3/4 t sea salt
- 1/4 t black pepper
- 1/2 t red pepper flakes (this has kick!! I would use 1/4 t if you are going to feed it to kids who prefer milder foods)
- Garnish with sesame seeds and/or green onions!
- Place whole chicken thighs into the crock pot and turn it on low. Cover
- Place remaining ingredients (except garnish) into a food processor (I used my bullet) and puree well.
- Pour mixture into crock pot and mix around with chicken, make sure it’s coated well.
- Cook on low for 4 hours, or so. If you need it faster, Cook on high for 2ish hours.
- Remove chicken from crock pot after it has cooked and cut it up into bite size portions.
- Transfer sauce from crock pot to a small saucepan. Reduce on medium heat until it’s thickened. 15-20 minutes.
- Drizzle thickened sauce over chicken and enjoy!
I served this with Sushi Rice (Cauliflower Rice would taste just as great!) and Steamed Broccoli. It was delicious!!! I’m always looking for recipes that are easy on the wallet, time and stress level. This completely fits the bill in all ways possible.