My Guy Bri put in a request for Lentil Soup… I have to admit, I snubbed my nose and said EWW! He rarely asks for anything in particular, especially if I may not like it. He pulled out the recipe and asked me to make it. This recipe comes from the Moosewood Cookbook! Purchase it HERE. It’s full of vegetarian meals.
I went to the store to gather what we didn’t have of the
- 16 oz dry lentil
- 7 cups of water
- 2 tsp of salt
- 6-8 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- Lots of freshly ground black pepper
- 2-3 medium size ripe tomatoes
- red wine vinegar*, to drizzle
- Place lentils, water and salt in a pot. Bring to a boil, lower heat to a low simmer and allow to simmer for 20-30 minutes, partially covered.
- Add vegetables (except tomatoes), herbs and black pepper, to taste. Partially cover and allow to simmer for another 20-30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Heat a medium saucepan full of water to boiling. Drop in each tomato for 10-15 seconds, remove them from the water the peel off the skin. (I like to score the bottom of the tomato with an X before dipping, to give me an edge.) Cut tomato in half and remove seeds. Chop remaining tomato and add to the soup. Let the soup cook an additional 5 minutes more.
- Serve hot, with a drizzle of red wine vinegar* on top.
This was a very easy meal to put together. Lovey did help me with some of it. He likes pouring things into the pot, which is why I don’t have any pictures of the process… too busy keeping an eye on my helper.
* A note about RED WINE VINEGAR, my son DOES have a reaction to it. So we DO NOT put this on his soup. After looking it up, here I see that others MAY NOT have a reaction to it. Please use your own judgement.